About Me

My photo
hi! my name is kirsty gilliburn and i am a student at manchester school of art studying Design and Art Direction. Sometimes my mind runs off on a tangent and i imagine myself sat in a Vogue office wearing head to toe chanel, the new anna wintour. A girl can dream.

Tuesday 6 April 2010

i'm finally getting round to...



Writing about NEW YORK CITY. ok so i went to NYC last october and i'm only just writing about it now. im trying to get all my thoughts and exhibition reviews down so that i can sort out my journal for my degree. NYC was an experience in my life that i will never forget. i went with uni and was a little worried about going, i was with people i knew but i wasn't especially close to them at the time, however i now consider those i went with as some of my closest friends. it's amazing that such a huge city can bring people so close together.
i took over 1000 photographs and laughed probably over 1000,000 times! i was overwhelmed by the sights i saw. it's strange and probably quite cheesy to say that i had never felt i'd fit in somewhere so much in my life. by the time the five days were over i felt like i knew the city like the back of my hand.
we walked the majority of the way round the city, waking at 7am and often not getting back till gone 11pm trying to see everything the island had to offer. Even on the odd occasion we travelled by subway it was a doddle. although it was tiring we preferred to walk so as to take in everything we possibly could.



I went to NYC with an overweight case, and i came home with a case i could barely even wheel! i spent probably about £800, the most i've ever spent in 5 days! but it was totally worth it. i managed to stick tot he rule of buying only the things i couldn't buy when i was at home, so in other words i bought touristy thing. it was every penny well spent :)
For all i was buying tourist items i didn't look like a tourist on several occasions i was approached by people asking for directions around the city, yep that's right people thought i lived in NEWYORK!
To this day it still depresses me that i am not at this moment sat in magnolia bakery looking out onto the busy streets.
it is the one place i have found where i felt like i truly belonged and the once place where no matter what the weather was like and no matter where i was going i had smile on my face.


No comments:

Post a Comment