About Me

My photo
hi! my name is kirsty gilliburn and i am a student at manchester school of art studying Design and Art Direction. Sometimes my mind runs off on a tangent and i imagine myself sat in a Vogue office wearing head to toe chanel, the new anna wintour. A girl can dream.

Thursday 8 April 2010

sandology...


So today i am spending the day emersing myself in the British summer. I am currently working on a brief for Hamleys toystore, to design a window display for their summer window. After brainstorming i have figured the best theme to base my ideas around is the british summer. everyone as memories of the british seaside, building sandcastles and eating candy floss and rock on the pier. Using this idea will hopefully give my designs a sense of nostalgia as well as a fun and creative aspect to them.
The most interesting piece of research i have found is about sand sculptures and artists who create giant sculptures of objects made from sand. Mark Anderson is one of the artists i have come across who's impressive sculptures has earned him clients such as Orange, Selfridges and even commissions for St Paul's Cathedral. Just looking at his sculptures is really inspiring and makes me want to go out and try and create my own, unfortunately i can barely make a sand castle with a bucket and spade let alone carving sculptures out of sand. Below is some of the sculptures he has made over the years.





His work ranges from commissioned pieces for clients like the above for the national rail museum through to fun pieces like the sculpture copy of shrek.
looking at his work has given me some great ideas for sculptures that could go in the Hamleys window, they would be a tourist point as well as something fun and interesting to look at, the theme could also be carried throughout the store with sand sculptures inside and continuing the idea of the british seaside summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment