About Me

My photo
hi! my name is kirsty gilliburn and i am a student at manchester school of art studying Design and Art Direction. Sometimes my mind runs off on a tangent and i imagine myself sat in a Vogue office wearing head to toe chanel, the new anna wintour. A girl can dream.

Tuesday 13 April 2010

visual merchandising experience...

So last week i managed to land myself the opportunity to get some work experience as a visual merchandiser. a shop in my hometown of bury had recently got fashion clothes in store and when i visited i could tell straight away that they didn't hire a v.m. to arrange the stands, so i took it upon myself to ask them if they would consider me to go and do some experience for them. i would sort out their stands to increase their sales while at the same time gaining the experience i needed to further my career, post-university as a visual merchandiser.
since there had never been clothes in store before since it was a shoe shop, i had complete creative freedom, which turned out to be the hardest part of the job. unlike when i do merchandising for french connection i had nowhere to start. no wet theme or color ways it was completely upto me and...

i loved every minute!

i only had 2 stand to merchandise but it took me around 5 hours to dress the front facing items out and create and order and place all the items. i even got to dress the window mannequin!! it was a great taster for what is to come in my life and i really felt i'd accomplished something when i had finished. fingers crossed he will ask me back to do more work for him as he gets newer and more stock in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment